Friday, October 17, 2008

expanding the proverbial bubble

With risk comes reward. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. I wouldn’t go so far to say that one requires the other, but true reward isn’t going to come w/out manageable risk. To reap reward, sacrificing time, effort, and even certain opportunities is a given and somewhat easily obtainable. For me, stepping out of that comfort zone and trying a new endeavor is the greater challenge. The result is often the same: a feeling of exhilaration and accomplishment after having tried something new, or from achieving a level previously unobtainable. But, the initial risk and feelings of uneasiness still have to be overcome in order to take that leap of faith. However uncomfortable, it’s a feeling that I’ve learned to revel in. It’s similar to the borderline-masochistic satisfaction from being sore after a grueling workout. How else is one going to grow w/out pushing the limits, w/out expanding that proverbial bubble?

As this season comes to a close and I’ve had a chance to reflect on the progress I’ve made, it’s become apparent again that it takes more than just sacrifice and tribulation to reach the goals I hold for myself. It takes a calculated risk. At the beginning of this season, I expected to compete in nothing more than an Olympic distance triathlon. After all, that was all my knee could possibly handle. And there was no way I could transform into any resemblance of a swimmer this quickly. Or is there? Earlier this week I swam a mile in 34 minutes. It’s by no means my longest swim, but certainly my quickest at this length. My stroke is smooth, my confidence is high, and for the first time in my life, I feel like a swimmer. I’m sure I’ll read over this post sometime next year and humor myself that I was proud of such a feat, but I’m making progress. Tomorrow I run in my first official half-marathon. It’s a little anti-climatic, as I’ve already run this distance in my last half-Ironman, but it will still be an accomplishment none-the-less.

The point that resounds in my mind is that I didn’t think it possible to finish a half-IM this year. Just four months ago, I thought there was no way I could compete at this level this year. Thanks to a little gentle persuasion by my KCM counterparts, I stepped outside my comfort zone and took a risk. That metaphoric leap of faith I took as I walked to the starting line in Oklahoma City just a few weeks ago is one of the most rewarding risks I’ve taken to date. And if I’m able to accomplish this after four short months, what will I be capable of w/ a full year to prepare? As I continue to push the limits, I can appreciate how the Ultramarathon Man, Dean Karnazes, earned his name and reputation. It’s amazing to discover what the human body and mind is capable of. If you don’t limit yourself, similarly to how I did to myself earlier this year, the sky is the limit- or in Karnazes’ case, 226.2 miles so far.

I’ve also continued to expand that proverbial bubble on a smaller, but no less grand, scale. I had sushi last night for the first time w/ a good friend. As I sat at the dimly lit table, I found myself uncharacteristically fidgety. Maybe it was from the uncertainty of the food I was about to explore or because the BoSox just went down early in game five of the ALCS finals, but I was nervous. To my surprise, I may even contribute some of the nervousness to the party I was waiting for, but I’ll save that for another day. This palatal adventure is one that’s been on my list for months now, but a feeling of uncertainty still remained as the waiter walked off w/ our order. Soon my taste buds experienced the sensations of smoked salmon, spicy tuna, and crab, mixed with cucumber, cream cheese, and rice. The tastes and textures sent an incredible rush throughout my mouth and I couldn’t believe I had been w/out for so long. The reward was tremendous and I was instantaneously hooked. Among other things, I am a rediscovered triathlete and sushi lover this year alone. As I continue to push the limits in all facets of my life, I can’t help but wonder what else is next. There are a few specific areas that are receiving greater attention and I look forward to fulfilling only a portion of the opportunity possible in each. I am ready to embrace the risks necessary to realize my greatest rewards.

No comments: