Sunday, December 14, 2008

faith

The end of December is rapidly approaching and the traditional signs of this time of year are evident everywhere. Christmas music is played over radios in offices and homes alike. Carolers sing these same traditional songs along walkways and in common areas of shopping centers. Christmas trees can be seen in transport on the occasional vehicle roof and through open living room windows. Lines of white lights outline homes and landscaping throughout cozy neighborhoods. Christmas movies are played and holiday advertisements flash across our television screens. The season is even present in my daily routine. I wish my clients Happy Holidays as I conclude phone calls, but the phrase that is really on my mind is, "Merry Christmas." I am especially cognizant of the reason we get to celebrate this holiday that has somehow become commercialized over the years.

As I sat in church this morning, listening to a sermon about trusting in the Lord, I was reminded of my favorite Bible verse. Proverbs 3:5-6 tells us, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." The tribulations I experience throughout my life are minor at most, however, I am still thankful to have a greater source of strength to turn to.

I've already begun mentally preparing for my Ironman this November, an entire 10 1/2 months away, and anxiety has developed within me. I think about the daunting task ahead of me and that infamous knot begins to tighten within my core. I know I have time. I know I have the discipline to see the training through. I know I have the willpower to push through the pain and exhaustion. But the questions still remain. What can my body handle? Can my knee keep up with my heart and mind? I understand that I can do the majority of the preparation, both physical and mental, myself and with the guidance and support of my family, friends, and KCM counterparts, but I also believe that the final preparations and ability to see this through will come from a source greater than you and I. I look forward to the confidence produced from faith replacing the feelings of anxiety that lurk in the pit of my stomach.

I'm also relying on my faith to give me strength and clarity as I reach a crossroads in my professional life. I refuse to settle for mediocracy and become an underachiever. I have rediscovered the vigor I need for the success I expect for myself, however I still need to determine or develop the most effective outlet for these efforts. I continue to prepare myself as best as I know how and have faith that I will discover the correct path. I have not soon forgotten that it will take a considerable risk to realize true reward.

The spoils of my faith recently became very apparent at a social event earlier this month. An encounter with my ex-wife reaffirmed the immaturity and lack of class that I chose to separate myself from. The differences in which this situation was handled by different parties speaks volumes to having the faith to make the right, and usually difficult, decisions. That leap of faith has proven very fruitful and I anticipate much more of the same in the coming months and years. Now, more than ever, I have faith that the path I'm leading will bring me everything I could possibly ask for in life. Fortunately, this isn't a path I'm leading by myself, as the footprints will show.

I'm not going to wish you all Happy Holidays. I'm going to wish you a Merry Christmas as I hope each of you will join me in remembering why we all are blessed with such an amazing holiday.

1 comment:

Trish said...

Merry Christmas to you too!!